GLUING DOWN THE ENDPAPERS AND TIGHTENING THE HINGES
- Use the rounded end of a microspatula to feed glue between the lifted endpapers and the cover boards. Feed the glue all the way down to the point where the end papers are still attached to the board and into the hinge area.
- Use a folder to work the end papers into position, working from the center of the end paper toward the edge of the book board. Wipe away any excess glue that is worked out.
- Apply glue to the cut flaps and press them into position. There may be a thin gap between the flap and the edge of the endpaper.
- Lay a strip of wax paper in the joint areas. Put the book in a book press or insert rods in the hinges and press under weight for 10 minutes.
- Open the book carefully and test the front and back hinges. If the hinges are loose, tighten them following the directions in the post Tightening Book Hinges. If they seem tight, replace the wax paper and return the book to the press or weights and dry overnight.