Signature Punching Cradle
A signature punching cradle helps control placement of the sewing stations and can be constructed out of thin plywood, mat board or cardboard.
- To construct a simple cradle from a cardboard box, make a 45 degree angle “V” cut in both ends of a box.
- Cut two pieces of cardboard 2” longer than the length of the box and 1” wider than the length of one side of the “V” cut.
- Glue a 1 l/2” strip of book cloth connecting the two pieces of cardboard along one long edge.
- Glue the cardboard strips into the cut out “V” with PVA.
- Open the material to the center of the signature and lay it in the cradle. Make sure the material is seated all the way down into the cradle.
- Lay a punching jig (see separate post for instructions) on top of the material and punch with a needle-in-a-stick.